Now in a new edition, this exceptionally successful survey text introduces the faith, belief, and practice of Islam from its earliest origins up to its contemporary resurgence. John L. Esposito, an internationally renowned expert on Islam, traces the development of this dynamic faith and its impact on world history and politics. Lucidly written and expansive in scope, Islam: The Straight Path, Fourth Edition, provides keen insight into one of the world's least understood religions. It is ideally suited for use in courses on Islam, comparative religions, and Middle Eastern history and culture.
NEW TO THE FOURTH EDITION:
* A revised Chapter 5, "Religion and Politics," provides more focused and up-to-date coverage of Osama bin Laden's influence and the continued growth of extremism; the relationship of Islam to violence; the meaning of jihad and the origins of a global jihad ideology; the role of suicide bombing; and the influence of Saudi Arabia's Wahhabi Islam.
* An updated Chapter 6, "The Struggle for Islam in the 21st Century," covers Muslim responses to new social and political contexts and presents the diverse and competing positions--from traditionalist to modernist--of contemporary Muslim leaders on issues of religious authority, women's rights, Shariah, violence, and terrorism.
* More extensive treatment of early Islam in Chapters 1 and 2
* An enhanced art program featuring twenty-one photos and three maps
* A new appendix that includes an extensive timeline of key events in the history of Islam
* A FREE 6-month subscription to Oxford Islamic Studies Online (www.oxfordislamicstudies.com), edited by John L. Esposito. Please look inside for details.
Les informations fournies dans la section « Synopsis » peuvent faire référence à une autre édition de ce titre.
JOHN L. ESPOSITO is Professor of Religion and International Affairs and Professor of Islamic Studies at Georgetown University, where he is also Director of the Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding at the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service. His publications include The Islamic Threat: Myth or Reality, Islam and Politics, The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Modern Islamic World and The Oxford History of Islam.Review :
"This is an excellent, comprehensive, and highly accessible introduction to Islam and its civilization; Muslims and their societies in the pre-modern to the modern period; and contemporary intellectual and political trends. In my opinion, it really is the single best introduction to Islam and Muslims today. The book keeps getting better and better with each new edition!"--Asma Afsaruddin, University of Notre Dame
"I have to commend OUP for its commitment to revising and updating this important book. Esposito writes in a lucid, accessible, and direct style that allows the book to be an excellent introduction for novice students. Esposito illustrates the rare ability of being comprehensive without being reductive."--Febe Armanios, Middlebury College
Les informations fournies dans la section « A propos du livre » peuvent faire référence à une autre édition de ce titre.
Description du livre Oxford University Press, 2010. Paperback. État : New. Brand New Text!!! Never Been Used!!! This text is totally clean with no writing at all!!!. N° de réf. du libraire 107133
Description du livre Oxford University Press, USA, 2010. Paperback. État : New. 4. N° de réf. du libraire DADAX0195396006
Description du livre Oxford University Press, 2010. Paperback. État : New. book. N° de réf. du libraire 0195396006
Description du livre Oxford University Press, 2010. Paperback. État : New. N° de réf. du libraire P110195396006
Description du livre Oxford University Press. PAPERBACK. État : New. 0195396006 New Condition. N° de réf. du libraire NEW6.0078381
Description du livre État : Brand New. Book Condition: Brand New. N° de réf. du libraire 97801953960031.0