MYCOMPLAB: Where writing and research help is just a click away!
Revue de presse
- Grade Tracker - Through Grade Tracker, MyCompLab offers assesment for grammar, writing, and research, while most other sites concentrate on grammar alone. Grade Tracker allows students to track their results on all MyCompLab quizzes, exercises and activities. Instructors receive access to the instructor view, where they can see and sort their students’ results. Instructors can sort by individual student, specific exercise set, date, as well as view number of student attempts, grades for each attempt, and they can add comments when assigning grades -- all within the Gradebook. No longer will instructors’ inboxes be filled with hundreds of online exercise emails from students. Grade Tracker houses all student results in one place so instructors have a comprehensive view of student progress in the areas of grammar, writing and research.
- Grammar Diagnostics and Study Plan -- Two comprehensive 50-question diagnostic tests assess student skills in basic grammar, sentence grammar, mechanics and punctuation, and usage and style . Targeted Diagnostics test student skills in one of the four areas just listed, providing additional diagnostic opportunities. For both Comprehensive and Targeted Diagnostics, results pages provide a study plan for the student with overall proficiency scores , question-by-question feedback, and links to appropriate areas in ExerciseZone to improve skills.
- ExerciseZone -- Over 1000 new items have been added to ExericseZone bringing the total to 4,600 questions. Almost every existing exercise has been updated and edited, ensuring the highest quality exercise sets in basic grammar, sentence grammar, punctuation and mechanics and usage and style.
- ESL ExerciseZone -- contains 700 self-scoring practice items for students whose first language is not English, adapted from a classic worktext published by Longman’s ELT division.
- 20 Common Errors Interactive Tutorials -- With animated examples and clear, concise audio and video instruction, these excellent teaching tools address multiple learning styles and walk students through identifying and fixing common errors in their writing. Topics include comma splices, pronoun reference, parallelism and wordiness/redundancy.
- Exchange -- Pearson’s online peer and instructor review program, is a flexible, easy to use program that makes both delivering peer review assignments and grading papers simpler and more effective. It is simple for instructors to create their course, create assignments, and keep track of students’ grades. Students upload papers with a click of a button. Students and their instructor can comment on papers at the word, sentence, paragraph or paper level. Just click to: help students identify and overcome common errors through links to an online handbook; save favorite comments; let all students see comments, or only the author and instructor; set due dates; attach writing checklists; print papers with comments, delete uploaded papers, make the paper view window bigger, and much more!
- Office Hours” Writing Videos -- This motivational video series shows real students tackling the stages of the writing process (prewriting, drafting, editing, revising, peer review) and learning useful strategies from their instructor. Writing Process. Offering in-depth instruction and practice opportunities for each stage of the writing process, this section also provides a series of “guided” exercises that walk students from one step to the next, allowing students to bring a writing project to completion. Writing ActivitiesProviding a useful bank of homework assignments or in-class activities, this section offers 100 different writing exercises in which students respond to videos, images, and websites. The activities are further divided according to writing purpose: analyze, argue, compare, describe, discuss, evaluate, extend, inform, self-reflect, and synthesize.
- Writing Process -- Offering in-depth instruction and practice opportunities for each stage of the writing process, this section also provides a series of “guided” exercises that walk students from one step to the next, allowing students to bring a writing project to completion.
- Writing Activities -- Providing a useful bank of homework assignments or in-class activities, this section offers 100 different writing exercises in which students respond to videos, images, and websites. The activities are further divided according to writing purpose: analyze, argue, compare, describe, discuss, evaluate, extend, inform, self-reflect, and synthesize.
- Model Documents Gallery -- An extensive collection of sample papers, reports, and documents from across the curriculum.
- Analyzing Visuals -- offers step-by-step tutorials, interactive documents and in-depth exercises for developing visual literacy skills. “Analyzing a Visual Text” walks students step-by-step through the process they should use to analyze an image, while “Reading Visual Arguments” offers guided exercises in which they explore the elements of visual argument and practice strategies for reading them critically. Other resources include “Interactive Visuals” -- interactive documents that show how the process of visual analysis can be applied to specific images -- and “Activities for Writing about Visuals,” which provides writing prompts and projects
- Citation Diagnostics and Exercise -- To help students learn the critical skill of properly citing research sources and avoiding plagiarism, MyCompLab offers citation diagnostics and self-grading practice exercises in MLA and APA styles. Two diagnostics in each style, a pre- and post-test, assess student skill in recognizing correct citations for Books, Periodicals and Electronic Sources. Diagnostic results provide a study plan with proficiency scores, question-by-question feedback, and links to appropriate citation exercises for practice and review.
- Research Navigator -- includes step-by-step guidance in the research process (adapted from J.D. Lester’s best-selling Writing Research Papers) while also providing access to databases of credible, academic sources. Student receive access to: EBSCO’s ContentSelect (a searchable database of over 25,000 articles from academic journals); The New York Times Search-by-Subject archive; and Link Library (editorially selected links to academic resources arranged by discipline and searchable by key term). ResearchNavigator also includes AutoCite, an easy to use bibliography maker in APA and MLA styles.
- “Office Hours” Research Videos -- As with the Writing “Office Hours” videos, the ones in the research section show real students, from Lander University, tackling key topics in the research process (finding and narrowing a topic, evaluating sources, citing sources, avoiding plagiarism) and learning valuable strategies from their instructor.
- Evaluating Sources tutorial -- By reading guidelines, watching an animated tutorial, and practicing best habits, this resouce will help students learn how to select and use credible, reliable online sources for their research projects. The “Guidelines” section reviews the fundamentals, while the animated tutorial shows a student conducting research and receiving valuable advice for evaluating sources from an Internet search. A series of guided exercises prompts students to evaluate and critique selected websites and a mastery test completes the unit, challenging students to perform a thorough review of the selected online source and make recommendations for usage.
- Avoiding Plagiarism -- the most comprehensive and interactive program of its kind, offers self-guided tutorials, strategies, testing and practice to help students recognize and avoid plagiarism in both MLA and APA formats. Student answers to all Avoiding Plagiarism quizzes and exercises are saved in Grade Tracker so instructors can assign grades and track progress.
- MyDropBox -- Instructors who use a MyCompLab Value Pack in their course can receive complimentary access to MyDropBox’ SafeAssignment program, a leading online plagiarism detection service. SafeAssignment is an advanced plagiarism prevention system that automatically compares all student papers submitted to MyDropBox against a wide range of sources, including: 8 billion web pages; all major public digital databases; FindArticles™ database; the entire family of ProQuest™ ABI/Inform databases; MyDropBox’s proprietary database of over 300,000 academic papers known to be offered by paper-mill Web sites; and all student papers previously submitted to MyDropBox within an instructor’s department. Detailed Originality Reports are turned around in 5 to 10 minutes.
Présentation de l'éditeur
- Pearson Tutor Services, (powered by SmarThinking). Offering students full time support in their writing efforts, SmarThinking is an online tutoring service that provides students with paper review 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Consistently given high ratings by students, faculty, and administrators for the quality of their service, SmarThinking employs hundreds of qualified writing tutors in the United States - all tutors have teaching and tutoring experience, and over 80% hold master's degrees or PhDs. Students who are registered for MyCompLab, MyWritingLab, MyTechCommLab or MyLiteratureLab can submit a specified number of papers for review directly from their MyLab site. Detailed feedback will be returned to the student within 24 hours.
To browse titles and order information for MyCompLab titles with E-books, click "MyCompLab Series" to the left.
Providing more opportunities for practice, assessment and instruction than any similar site, MyCompLab is a dynamic online resource for the Composition course. It offers market-leading tools for improving grammar, writing and research skills with comprehensive results tracking so students and instructors can gauge student progress. Easy to use and easy to integrate into the classroom, MyCompLab engages students as it builds confidence and helps them to be better writers and researchers. MyCompLab is an incredible value for your students. They will receive pre-paid access when they purchase a new Longman English textbook, or they may purchase the program on line at www.mycomplab.com.
Here is a listing of some key resources within MyCompLab. For descriptions of each, click the Features link to the left or visit www.mycomplab.com
- Grade Tracker -- A comprehensive assessment tool for students and instructors, unparrallel in any composition on-line product.
- Grammar Diagnostics and Study Plan -- providing targeted diagnostics tests and overall study plan for individual students
- ExerciseZone -- over 4,600 exercises in 45 topic areas
- ESL Exercise Zone -- 700 self-grading practice questions designed to help ELL students
- 20 Common Errors Interactive Tutorials -- videos which help students identify and fix common errors in their writing
- Exchange peer review -- an easy and engaging way to administer peer review assignments and grade papers online.
- “Office Hours” Writing Videos -- showing real students tackling the stages of the writing process
- Writing Process -- step-by-step instruction, strategies and practice opportunities for each stage of the writing process
- Writing Activities -- over 100 image, video, and web-based writing prompts organized by the writing purposes with explanations of each form of writing.
- Model Documents Gallery -- an extensive collection of sample papers, reports, and documents from across the curriculum.
- Analyzing Visuals -- tutorials, interactive documents and in-depth exercises for developing visual literacy skills.
- Citation Diagnostics and Exercises -- to help students learn to properly cite research sources and avoid plagiarizing
- Research Navigator -- providing access to databases of credible, academic sources such as EBSCO and New York Times
- “Office Hours” Research Videos -- real students from Lander University, tackling key topics in the research process
- Evaluating Sources tutorial -- help students learn how to select and use credible, reliable online sources for their research projects.
- Avoiding Plagiarism -- tutorials, strategies, testing and practice to help students recognize and avoid plagiarism in both MLA and APA formats.
- MyDropBox plagiarism detection service
- Pearson Tutoring Services (powered by SmarThinking) on line paper review service provided for students using MyCompLab.
Les informations fournies dans la section « A propos du livre » peuvent faire référence à une autre édition de ce titre.