Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online. The Garnkirk and Glasgow Railway was incorporated on 26 May 1826 and was ceremonially opened on 27 September 1831. It was built to the Scotch gauge of 4 ft 6 in (1,372 mm). The engineers were Grainger and Miller from Edinburgh. It was extended to Coatbridge in 1843; and in 1844 it became the Glasgow, Garnkirk and Coatbridge Railway. In 1844 it was bought by the Caledonian Railway; and in the 1921 Railway Grouping it became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS).