An introduction to the fundamental principles common to most environmental problems is followed by major sections on water pollution, hazardous waste and risk assessment, waste treatment technologies, air pollution, global climate change, hazardous substances, and risk analysis. Includes problems. A
Les informations fournies dans la section « Synopsis » peuvent faire référence à une autre édition de ce titre.
From the Publisher
A moderately technical introduction to a wide range of environmental topics -- including issues relating to water and air pollution, hazardous waste and risk assessment, waste treatment technologies, and global climate change.
From the Back Cover
Balanced coverage of all the major categories of environmental pollution, with coverage of current topics such as climate change and ozone depletion, risk assessment, indoor air quality, source-reduction and recycling, and groundwater contamination. Slightly more quantitative than most books on the market.
- Explores urgent environmental problems such as the depletion of the ozone layer, greenhouse effect, groundwater flow and contamination, and indoor air quality.
- Includes several important pedagogical aids.
- Many examples of each quantitative concept.
- Worked examples in each quantitative section.
- Numerous problems at the end of each chapter.
NEW TO THIS EDITION:
- NEW— Includes a new chapter covering Solid Waste Management and Resource Recovery (Chapter 9). This chapter focuses on pollution prevention and product stewardship.
- NEW—Risk Assessment has been greatly expanded and moved earlier in the book (chapter 4), reflecting the importance of this topic in Environmental Engineering and policy-making.
- NEW— Provides a completely revised chapter on Global Atmospheric Change corresponding with the perspectives, terminology, and approaches that have become the standard according to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Scientific Assessments. (Chapter 8)
- New—Presentsexpanded coverage of water resources and Groundwater remediation, including challenges posed by subsurface contamination of nonaqueous-phase liquids.(Chapter 5)
- NEW— Summarizes the National Resource Council's assessment of the ability of conventional pump-and-treat remediation technologies to restore aquifer quality. (Chapter 5)
- NEW—Covers the treatment of hazardous wastes and descriptions of the key pieces of environmental legislation that regulate hazardous substances. (Chapter 6)
- NEW—Updates coverage of mobile source controls in the chapter on air pollution (Chapter 7) to include descriptions of reformulated gasoline and other alternative fuels as well as new material on two-stroke engines and hybrid electric vehicles.
- NEW—Includes unique coverage of indoor air quality.
- NEW—All topics have been given a more careful, thorough treatment in order to bring them up-to-date and increase the depth and breadth of the information presented.
Les informations fournies dans la section « A propos du livre » peuvent faire référence à une autre édition de ce titre.