Articles liés à Harecroft Hall 1712-2017

Harecroft Hall 1712-2017 - Couverture souple

Mansergh, Ruth

 
9781790507009: Harecroft Hall 1712-2017

Synopsis

This is the first book to be published about Harecroft Hall – JS Ainsworth’s mansion in 1881 – and Harecroft Hall School with the embarrassingly bright pink “HH” blazers, not ideal for boys walking around Whitehaven, pink ties and much-respected and arguably much-loved Penrices. The school, whose old boys include Tam Dalyell and singer Tom Morley, was opened by Roy Vallance and Mary Farish Brown in 1926 as a preparatory school for boys destined to elite public schools. All boys were taught to ride by a resident riding mistress on ponies maintained on the premises.It went bankrupt, but was revived by Tom McClelland, as much marketing guy as headteacher. Children’s author Geoffrey Trease was a teacher at the school and wrote of his time there, and some boys had piano lessons from Eileen Joyce and cricket coaching at the hands of Greg Matthews. Tom Penrice, who bought the business from William Dunlop, was headmaster from 1965 to 1992.Sadly, Harecroft Hall School, which had strong links with St Bees School, closed in 2008. Interesting snippets include the Hare family, the Pack Horse inn, slave emancipation money, the Bolton connection, a staff member who worked on the Burma-Thailand railway, “the few who were left behind”, the extraordinary Major Brewin and elusive “Mary” Brewin, Harecroft as a bulwark of bacherlordom, Mr Howell’s tree top adventure, Mr Penrice’s goose rearing, pupils’ memories, scholarship boards (dating back to 1940) and Mr Penrice’s famous Black Book that listed HH attendees from 1948 to 2002 (and with some entries going back to 1927).

Les informations fournies dans la section « Synopsis » peuvent faire référence à une autre édition de ce titre.